Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Discovering Our Higher Truth by Healing Lower Truth // The Start of the Alchemy of Social Justice, Part One

I have felt incredibly concerned with the state of the world recently. I know I am not alone in this.

I've written a lot here about discovering "higher truth" -- I believe that we each can connect with our own unique purpose and gifts by moving into our higher truth, but it came to me today: the only way to locate our higher truth is by first locating, exploring, and clearing what can be called our "lower truth". So much sludge and muck and karmic pollution has been packed onto and into each of us over the course of thousands of years. This baggage we carry comes in the form of deep ancestral wounds that we carry around with us in our cells. These wounds have been developed through many sorts of trauma: whether our ancestors inflicted or received pain, whether they lost or bore witness to loss, whether they ran from fear, whether or not they stood up or succumbed to the forces of destruction, or whether it was some combination, or all, of these traumas. Diving into them and being with them there, these lower truths within our bodies that express to us generations of loss and pain and fear, will show us elements of why we are just how we are today. It is through their excavation that we will move into our higher truth.

As above, so below; as within, so without.

In order to create real social change and heal the state of the world, change must occur. And I have some ideas for how to incite real change. 

Our country is sick because our systems and corporations are sick, and continue to spread their sickness to us: to our land, to our people. We, citizens of earth for a short but meaningful while, cannot sit idly by anymore while our earth is ravaged and drilled out of the illusion of necessity, while her waters and the life that inhabits them are poisoned by massive amounts of physical waste, a manifestation of our own unaligned ignorance. And the part that will keep us stuck here is our refusal to band together and create true, pervasive, effective change.

This divide between us, between our brothers and sisters, is due to unhealed lower truth. It is through recognizing that across time and space, we have been cruel to one another; we have pillaged and plundered and destroyed one another's homes and families and lives -- and it is time to stop. This is not a manifesto against the white man, and although centuries of generations of white men have wreaked havoc and evil on civilization in all its myriad forms. I will mention here that I am white, so I am walking an edge here -- for it is true, I have many ancestors who were oppressive, white men. I carry deep shame within my cells, as we all do for various reasons: I carry much inner conflict around my shame, experiencing certain privileges because I am white and a lack of privileges because I am a female; these flip sides of privilege and the lack of privilege are at work in myriad ways for certain populations of people. (I will mention here that I have gone through periods of giving into the fullness of reactivity to triggers around white men, specifically, for years -- and at times, it has even shown up as a trigger around men in general. I am in process, and have not at all fully integrated what is brought about by this trigger, specifically when that stuff arises from the comments and actions of hetero-identifying, cis-gendered, "A-type", white men [my archetypal trigger] -- I often, in these instances, fall right back into the swamp of my trauma. But perhaps, little by little, by creating more space, by reacting less, we start to surrender to acknowledging our pain and be with it so that we can then release it, breaking cycles in whatever way it means for each of us. We learn that pain will have far less power if we redirect that power towards our own healing.)

“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom.” ―Viktor Frankl

No comments:

Post a Comment